S.T.U.B.B.I.E. is a mnemonic device representing basic skills and concepts that are essential to develop as individuals and ensemble members. If these are mastered and moved to automaticity young musicians can reach higher levels of performance and musical understanding much more quickly.
The exercises in S.T.U.B.B.I.E. Warm-ups for Band 1 are based on “sound before symbol.” It is critically important to develop the S.T.U.B.B.I.E. fundamentals without written music in front of the student. These 12 exercises have been designed to allow students to focus on listening and automatizing psycho-motor skills while being involved in the intent of the warm-up. Most of these warm-ups are performed without using notation.
S.T.U.B.B.I.E. Warm-ups for Band 1 Sound Before Symbol
- Exercises have been designed for multiple experience levels - beginners, players with 1- 2 years experience, and players with 2+ years experience. These also work well for advanced players to “unify” their approach to fundamentals (particularly if they have come from a variety of feeder programs).
- Created to be supportive of any method book currently in use by addressing issues that traditionally are not emphasized
- Utilizes both Spiral Curriculum and Mastery Learning methodologies, building not only from one exercise to the next, but returning to the fundamental in later exercises adding new twists to them once the students have mastered the basics
- By using STUBBIE sound before symbol warm-ups in the rehearsal room students learn to make great sound with good air and tonguing technique more quickly allowing them to be more successful playing on their own at home (i.e. - perhaps they will take their instruments home)
- E-book and Print book formats provided
- On-line support and video examples
- Posters illustrating concepts available