This set of ten chorales are meant to provide students with the skills and inspiration to always go beyond just playing notes. They have been arranged with non-traditional voice leadings, range and tessitura issues, and added rhythmic, melodic, and harmonic cadential stimuli to challenge students to make musical choices. Further, we have chosen not to indicate any musical ideas or give interpretative hints on the parts (tempi, dynamics, styles, balance, etc.) We intentionally leave that up to you and your students to allow you to experiment with various elements and skills required for making highly emotive music. Use these chorales as a vehicle to unify the intent and execution of every note which will then be transferred to the repertoire you are rehearsing and performing.
S.T.U.B.B.I.E. TUNES Chorale Exercises for Band
- Visual (sound to symbol) follow-up to STUBBIE Warm-ups
- Added rhythmic and harmonic alterations teach students to connect musical ideas
- Background information for each chorale exercise encourages further research to support interpretation
- Suggestions for listening to traditional and non-traditional performances inspire creative interpretations and performance
- The absence of tempo, volume, or style markings on the page entice the teacher and students to work together to create their own shared interpretations
- The introductory page for each chorale exercise lends ideas for transferring STUBBIE fundamentals to each chorale
- Every chorale and all resources developed lead to student independence for interpreting the musical intent of every note and phrasePermission to print as many as required per school as per the print and play agreement
- Four-part format on each student page to encourage awareness of more than just their own part (student parts in C, Bb, Eb, F, Trombone/Euphonium, Tuba, Mallet/Piano)
- All melodies are in the soprano line (except some horn parts)
- Mallet/Piano scores have been arranged to not only engage percussionists, but can be used as accompaniment for soloists.
- Permission to print as many as required per school as per the print and play agreement
- E-file and Print book formats provided
- On-line support and video examples
- Posters illustrating concepts available